Skip to main content

Postal post mortem


     It's July of 2016 now, one year ago I wrote a one act play titled Postal for a school assignment for my theatre class. My teacher had mentioned that I should enter a revised version of it to the international thespian playworks competition. If I won, I would be able to go to nationals for free on a scholarship and have my play get a staged reading and possibly published. So why not enter it? Skip ahead a couple of months, it's December and the deadline for submission is drawing near, so I submit. I get an email around February saying that I made it to semi finalists, really awesome! Then the wait... three months of agonizing waiting. Do I message them, and ask "what's the holdup?". Would that ruin my chances of getting selected? Would that make me come off as impatient or needy, maybe even unprofessional?! These thoughts ran through my head every moment in the day. Finally, it was mid may and I just couldn't wait any longer. Nationals was drawing near in June, and I had already paid for my bus ride. And low and behold they sent my rejection email to the wrong address. I was bitter at Playworks for those three months of mind games played on me. However, it's more my fault than anything. Perhaps I should have followed up with them sooner, and during those months I was already having fits of anxiety and stress from destroying and deleting all of my creative work up to that point, having trouble sleeping, expo deadlines for my games, greenlight, and high school. Fast forward a few weeks and boom, nationals; it was really nice, TML had a show there, all the other shows were amazing, workshops were helpful (especially the directing 101 toolkit one), and I walked a lot. And to wrap it all up, today I received a nice gesture in the mail, a pen. Of course it's too nice to actually write with, and I do all my work on the computer and my idea journal regardless, still nice though. I guess this means I'm a legit writer now.

If you'd like to read Postal, I have it posted here on my blog a while ago. However I made a quick site for it to be read here.

Comments